Since asbestos was banned in 2003 in Australia, most people are aware of the dangers of asbestos exposure, and while DIY removal may seem like a cheap option, it comes with potentially fatal health risks. As soon as asbestos i drilled, broken, moved or unsettled, it will produce microscopic fibers which can be inhaled, leading to deadly asbestos-related illnesses.
Safe Asbestos Removal
Professional asbestos roof removal is an investment in your family’s health, and you should only hire a professional that will take exceptional care. When selecting an asbestos roof removal company, make sure you choose a company that:
- Is a licensed professional
- Follows safe asbestos removal procedures in compliance with the Asbestos Removal Code
- Provides an Asbestos Clearance Certificate when the work is completed
Cost of Asbestos Roof Removal
Safe asbestos roof removal can vary from $65 – $85 per square metre to move and dispose of the roofing material, depending on the difficulty and size of the job. Influences on the cost per square metre include:
- Roof gradient and height – the steeper or higher the roof, the more expensive it is to remove
- The state of sheeting – smaller or broken sheeting can cost more than large, undisturbed sheeting
- Tipping costs to dump the asbestos roofing – this can vary depending on how far away the tipping centre is located
- Whether there are any other obstacles or impediments such as access to the roof, trees, load-bearing walls etc.
- The presence of insulation, and whether the pre-existing insulation requires removal. This can be determined by a site inspection.
Given there can be so many variables that influence the cost of asbestos roof removal, it’s important to obtain an on-site quote from an asbestos roof removal professional.
Roof Replacement Cost
The cost of replacing your roof is generally between $80 to $120 per square metre on average, depending on your roof preference and other variables such as:
- Roof Batton integrity (are there any damaged roof battons and are any replacement battons required.
- Roof design will effect labour costs (i.e a simple roof design as opposed to a complex roof design)
- Highset roof safety requirements. (Safety Rail requirements on all roofs above 3m)
- Access requirements
Gutter and Roof Repairs can organise professional asbestos roof removal. Contact Us today for a no obligation quote.